Welcome to a world, where pleasure is its main componet, a world where the clock is constantly ticking, a world that slowily raptures you with out you even knowing, Welcome to our world.

Monday, May 26, 2008

My interview:

I had to go to forever 21 today with my cusin to return clothes, so I decided to interview a few people in the store. I write down a few questions and I printed out a 2 pictures that I found online. Although it was really crowded, it was extremely diffcult to find the right person who had patience to stop their shopping to answer my questions. And finally after being rejected 12 times I found a girl who was generous enough to answer my questions. And this is how it went...


name
: jessica
age: 13

What does shopping mean to you?
exchanging money for things you need and want
How old were you when you started shopping on your own?
10ish
How often do you shop?
*smiles* every week
Why do you shop? Is it for fun, do you consider it as a hobby?
to get new things,new stuff...I think its fun...especially when getting new clothes I just feel good adding a new shirt in my closet
Good as in...?
its almost like I enjoy it...like pleasure
What is pleasure?
doing or having things you like
Do you define pleasure and happiness as the same?
no not really
Why not?
I don't know pleasure is more exciting
So what is happiness then?
not having to worry about anything...when your happy you don't have to stress or worry anything you need because you already have everything
Do you think everyone should be happy?
yea, the world would be a better place
What are you usually looking for when you are shop?
mostly shirts and jeans
Do you ever pay attention at the cashier, are you aware of how much you spend?
no not really, well usually my dad pays so I don't really pay attention
Give me an estimation.
I don't know..umm $70 or $80
How do you feel when your parents won't buy you something?
I get mad cuz I want it...I usually make a trantum till I get it and if I don't get it I won't talk to my dad till the next day
Do you ever felt bad, that you spend too much money?
umm..sometimes..depending on how much i spend...like if he spends $200 that’s a lot of money
So $200 is too much money?
I think like $400 is a lot of money...well if I get clothes $200 is too much but if its electronics obviously its going to be much more
When do you know your ready to leave the store?
when I have everything in the store that I like.
Do you ever notice anything when your shopping?
I notice if the packaging of the makeup I'm buying is pretty... the atmosphere of the store also has to be very pretty
What do you mean by pretty?
I don't know like if the packaging is plain then its boring, it has to have cool colors and designs
Do you think there is a problem with teens shopping?
umm, I don't think there is but sometimes I see really young kids like at the age of ten who have bags that are really expensive and I don't think that's reasonable
So when does it become reasonable?
until you like 20, you know the value of what is inside of the bag so you will take more care of things
How much money do you think parents should give their kids to shop?
I think we should get about $70 or $80 like when your 11 or 12 years old
What comes to mind when you think of the word addiction?
basically smoking... crack and drugs
Why do you think people take drugs?
To distract themselves from things that are happen like if someone is trying to run away from their problems
Do you think that people shop for the same reasons?
yea well,sometimes but people usually shop to have fun
What is having fun?
not sitting around and doing nothing...usually being with my friends
like sometimes I'm with my dad and I want to go out
Why don't you like being wit your dad?
because their nothing to talk with him about
So your telling me thei is absolutely nothing you and your dad can talk about?
no..not really
Do you like your dad?
yea but what is there that we can talk about?
Do you think its possible for one to become addicted to shopping?

Yea, I think its possible
How do you know when someone becomes addicted to shopping?
when they go shopping, and they don't need anything and they have to just to spend money.
Once you have your own children at what age are you going to let them start shopping on their own?
when there 11, if I have money and they need it...I'll let them
What do you want to be when you grow up, what are your plans for the future?
I want to be rich
Why?
cuz my parents are always worried about money and bills and I just want to shop without having to worry about debts, I also don't want me not having money to be an excuse for them to not go shopping and not having something to eat
Why do you rather be rich than middle class?
cuz I'll have more money, better things for them and better things for me'
What do you mean by "better"?
better things than what I have now
What do you have now?
Well I do have things I need like food and clothes
So if you say that you already have the basics having more equals better?
well yea kind of, people always need more in order to live, well at least I do.

What comes to mind when you see this picture?




people shopping, everything looks really fast
Are u surprise by this picture?
no
Why not?
because I always look at it,when I'm at the mall
So your use to seeing this?
yea
And you don't think there is anything wrong wit this pic?
nope.
Do you know what sweat shops are?
yea, kinda I don't know a lot about them but I know what they are...it's where they make clothes.
Who's they?
workers
Is that all u know?
well the workers are usually from different countries...like from Africa
Can you name some of the issues that are happen around the world?
the war and global warming and pollution, starving children in other countries...that all I can think about right now
Do you think about this issues often?
no, not often
Like how often?
like probably every other week, think
Do you think we, as teenagers can help stop or reduce this problems?
I don't think we can stop the war and global warming or help starving kids that are miles and miles away
Have you ever felt so overwhelm with poverty or any other issues that you don't ever bother doing anything about it?
I never felt overwhelmed by it
Why is that?
since I don't really think about it do i don't get overwhelmed by it
Why do usually think about?
*laughs*of how I'm going to do my hair tomorrow, places I want go or things I want to buy
Why do you think teenagers like you are so concerned about their physical appearance?
well if your walking on the streets people are going to judge you by the way you look
I don't think its a good thing but that how it is, you have be kinda of presentable
What is presentable to you?
well, when I get up I have to either straighten my hair so its really straight or I have to put things or products in to it so it can be the right kind of wavy
What do you see when look into this picture?


there are poor Indians and they are dirty, they look pretty happy to be poor though, I wouldn't be smiling if I were them.
If you can change one thing about this world what would it be?
I don't know there's too many things to just choose one
What do you mean by there is too many things?
there's too many things wrong with this world
Can you name a few?

(http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/socialstd/grade7/india/Sweatshop.html)
I already did

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

that was reallyy good, maybe you can try to do a poll with general people like on the promenade, they're less busy so you might not get rejected, just like be casual and say it's for school, so they feel better.